Auto insurance is something that is required for everyone who is driving a vehicle in the state of New York. For those who drive, it’s an inevitable part of life, and unfortunately, we need to pay the insurance premiums to be able to drive legally in the state.
In New York, there is a requirement to have various insurance policies on your vehicle, such as:
- Liability Insurance – This type of insurance is designed to protect the insured person against the risks of lawsuits.
- No-Fault Insurance – No-fault insurance means that you can be reimbursed by your insurance company for a claim, even without proof of fault toward another person. This type of insurance, however, restricts the rights to claim damages through the legal system.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage – This type of insurance allows you to recover damages, even from a person who does not have insurance coverage for the vehicle they were operating.
Putting the Brakes on Premiums
There are a few ways to drive down your premiums on New York auto insurance quotes :
- Vehicles that are frequently stolen, such as Honda Civics and Accords and Dodge Caravans can increase your insurance quotes. If you have a vehicle that is not commonly stolen, your insurance can go down.
- Speak to an agent or use an online search agent. These can both help you to find a better rate. An actual agent may be better than an online search, since they know what questions to ask, and know the fine details of the insurance business.
- Taking a driver’s education program can also help you get a better quote. As an added bonus, if you are looking to change insurance companies, and have points on your record, these courses may be able to reduce up to 4 points. After completing the course, simply show the proof of completion to your insurance company to receive your discount.
- Features on cars can also lower your New York auto insurance quotes. Items such as automatic seat belts or air bags, ABS installed by the factory, and daytime running lamps can all serve to bring down your quotes and rates.
It’s a fact of life that people need cars to go about their daily lives, and you need insurance to operate your vehicles in any state. Knowing ways to get better quotes on your auto insurance can make the pain of owning a car just a little bit less, and will help you in the event of an accident.